Thursday, September 12, 2013

A blink of an eye

Volume 8 Issue 3

A blink of an eye

Looking out our back patio widow on a recent June Sunday evening, big puffs of black smoke were seen rising up in the sky.  The weather radio just announced a thunderstorm warning while it was drizzling outside.   Concerned I (Leslie) texted my friend who lived what looked near to be where the fire smoke was coming from (who wasn’t home).   The fact that we (Mike and I) were curious and wanted to double check to see if it really was my friend’s house (having received a reply text “Help!”) we hopped in our car with our son in tow- shoeless.  Upon arriving at the scene were 4 different fire departments present.
As we stood there on the sidewalk, aghast in the drizzling rain, we saw this house fire being fought by the firemen and water trucks.  To think just an hour ago, even minutes ago the family of four were at home on a Sunday evening going about life.  A bolt of lightning struck their house without warning, their house engulfed in flames to be a total loss.   I thought to myself “ I am reminded of the brevity of life! A loved one or be it a stranger is there at one moment.  Then in a blink of an eye they are gone, dead.”  Do you or I even think the person’s eternal destiny is at stake?
When the Gospel is shared it is more than Truth!  It’s Hope — eternal life.  How incredible sharing and hearing the Gospel of Jesus Christ can alter one’s life in a blink of an eye.   It’s a crucial matter where one will spend eternity with Jesus vs. in hell-eternally separated from God.

Show me, Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is.  You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you.  Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure.  PS. 39: 4-5



While in college, Corey and Hannah Tyndall were summer project students in 2011.   The Tyndalls have been married just a few months and are currently raising their initial support to join Keynote once completed support goal. I (Mike) have the privilege to coach these new staff members as they raise their initial support.


At a recent support appointment Corey and Hannah had a unique opportunity and God sighting.  Read their story of how God is using them in this season of their lives.
The espresso machine whirred and shrilled, as I waited for my iced caramel macchiato to be prepared. I was standing in the Starbucks down the street from my house. I couldn’t help but feel nervous---more nervous than I had felt in a while. I was meeting up with a guy named “Josh” to talk with him about spiritual things and to share the Gospel with him. 

Hannah and I actually met Josh in a Starbucks while we were sharing about Keynote with a friend of ours. Josh was extremely curious.
“I’m sorry to interrupt,” he said, “But I have never heard anyone talk so passionately about anything in a Starbucks. What are you guys doing?”

We invited him over to our table and he heard about how God had worked in our lives. He had to leave soon after that, but asked if he and I could exchange phone numbers. He was very interested to hear more. Josh and I made plans to meet for coffee the next week.

When we met, I had the opportunity to share God with Josh. He had some background in church, but didn’t know anything about spirituality or religion. I got to share how God had worked in my life and what it means to personally know Christ. Josh was very interested to know more about the historical evidence for Jesus and what the Bible says about life’s questions. He said that he’d been running into a lot of Christians that were sharing with him. He didn’t think it was a coincidence.

Hannah and I are so excited to be part of a ministry that is all about starting spiritual conversations just like this one! We are still in touch, and Josh is still seeking. It is very clear that God is chasing fast after his heart. Please be praying for him as he continues growing in his knowledge of God’s love for him.



Remember how fleeting is my life.  For what futility you have created all humanity!  Who can live and not see death, or who can escape the power of the grave?  PS. 89: 47-48

 Praise & Prayer:
  • PRAISE: Leslie is/has the opportunity working the staff conference in CO while Mike is on “daddy duty”.  
  • PRAY for her to have wisdom and discernment in ministering/caring for other moms.
  • PRAISE:  Celebrating Benjamin’s 2nd Birthday as a family on June 29th!  (see photo below)
  • PRAISE:  A new full-time MPD coach /coordinator will be reducing Mike’s work load.

No comments: