Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Bible applies to everyday life

The Bible applies to everyday life

The day before classes began my freshman year at Bradley University (Fall of 1990) I met with Dick Belsly who was director of Campus Crusade on campus. Dick knew I grew up in a Christian home and in the church. He asked me when was the last time I shared my faith. I answered “Umm… I haven’t.” Dick asked “Why not?” and I answered “Well, you see, I’m kinda shy and I just don’t really talk all that much.”

Dick then opened up his Bible to 2 Timothy 1:7 and had me read aloud “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power, love and self-discipline.”

He then asked me, “So, Mike… Where does that timidity or fear come from?” I answered “Not from God.”

Dick then took out a 3x5 card and a small pencil and handed them to me. He then said, “Mike I’m not a name it and claim it kind of guy, but I want you to write down your response to this verse on this card.” I wrote, “I would like to have a spirit of boldness.”

That event changed my life. It was through this interaction that I finally saw how I could apply Scripture to my life instead of seeing it as a list of things to do or not to do. To this day (17 years later), I keep that card marking 2 Timothy 1:7 in my Bible.
Another example of how the Bible applies to everyday life is an article from the Associated Press I just read this morning. It is about a pastor teaching on the parable of the talents from Matthew 25:14-30. He decided to give his congregation a chance to put the parable of the talents into action by giving each adult $50 and each child $10 and seven weeks to double the money to give to the church's missions programs.

It is really amazing to read this article and hear about the creative ways people took it to heart. The article mentions that the initial gain over the money give out was $38,000 and it is still growing.

Though the article is a much longer than you typically find in a newspaper, it is worth the read. It can be found here:
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/pastors-challenge-shocks-congregation/20071220192509990001

No comments: